Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My SNAP Challenge garden is in. What is available for SNAP recipients who don't have land but want a garden?

I thought I was done planting my garden, but my husband let me know that if he was a SNAP recipeint that his garden would have radishes in it.  So, yesterday, I went to the Amish greenhouse down the road to get some radish seeds and found a 50% off sale in progress.  I got radish, beet, squash and popcorn seeds and plants for tomatoes and peppers.  The whole lot cost me $3.14.  Total Score!

It wasn't raining this morning, so I covered myself with deet and planted the rest of my garden.  It was a foggy, muggy morning and the woodpeckers were in the trees just beyond the chicken coop calling to each other and drumming on the poplars.  It was my own personal jungle and I was hoping the tropical plants like the tomatoes and peppers would appreciate the humid weather more than I did.

Later, I called the University of Wisconsin Extension office in Eau Claire to ask them about community gardens.  They actually have garden plots for rent for anyone who wants one--no income requirement to qualify.  It is just a first-come-first-served system.  The county tills the land in the spring and mows the surrounding grass. There is a porta-potty (do not just drop trou in the garden, please!) and a hydrant to provide water for the gardens.

The plot renter needs to provide the seeds, labor, tools (including hose), and fee.  This year, the fee is $35 dollars and it is for a plot that is 20 x 45.  Usually, the ones closest to the water are the first ones to be spoken for.  There are still plots available, so if you are on SNAP and want to plant a garden and your landlord isn't cool with you tilling up the yard you can find more information here: http://eauclaire.uwex.edu/community-gardens/  Remember, though, that there is no income requirement to rent the plots; so if you are flush with cash but are land poor, you can still rent a plot and start a garden.

There are other community gardens around the area that rent out spaces and some that share the food among the volunteers and with the Community Table.  I hope to contact some of the people in charge of them to find out more and share the information.

So, about the Community Table...One of the things I've been hearing by many in the hunger aid field is that I need to go there.  It is a hub of activity and there is no income requirement to eat there.  If you are lonely and just need to connect with humans, it is there for you.  I'm meeting with Rachel from the Community Table tomorrow morning to find out more.  She said she would make coffee.  I'm so there!

No comments:

Post a Comment