Sunday, June 23, 2013

Feeling real hunger

I couldn't get to sleep last night.  I was hungry.  Real hunger.  I can't remember the last time I felt real hunger.  It is an empty feeling.  A restlessness.  Almost a pain.  At about midnight I got up and made myself some oatmeal with some raisins.  I'm doing my best to stay healthy on this challenge, but there isn't enough protein for me.

I remember being poor as a child, but we lived on a dairy farm.  I don't remember being hungry, though.  We raised our own beef and had unlimited milk.  We had a huge garden and my mom canned everything we didn't eat fresh.  Nothing went to waste.

As I got further and further away from poverty, I wasted more.  I'm ashamed at the amount of food that I've thrown away over the years--lettuce and other vegetables that just never became a salad...meats that soured in the refrigerator...leftovers that never made it to the lunchbox or freezer.  I wonder how many people could be fed on just what the United States throws away in food a year?  Here's a link to some fantastic information about food waste in America.

http://www.facethefactsusa.org/facts/supersized-hunger-pangs-supersized-waste-infographic/

No comments:

Post a Comment