Saturday, June 22, 2013

SNAP Stew

Today, I made beef stew out of some of the groceries and it tasted fantastic.  Here's how to make it...

Take 8 ounces of mock tender or some other really cheap-o cut and cut it into chunks.  Brown it in a couple of tablespoons of oil (I used corn oil because it is cheap).  Add in two peeled and diced potatoes and two peeled and diced carrots and a half an onion peeled and cut into chunks.  Add two cups of water and some beef bullion and whatever other spices or herbs take your fancy.  (I added in some Herbs Provence because the jar came with the spice set and I just never use them.  Smash them up to release the most flavor.)  Add a can of diced tomatoes and simmer on low until everything is tender.  Thicken.  (I used oat flour because I forgot to buy flour and have a lot of oatmeal.  Just run the oatmeal through the food processor until it becomes flour.)  Ta Da!  SNAP Stew!

I even let my husband have a bowl. <grin>  He's not doing the challenge with me, but he is totally supportive of my adventure.  He did tell me that even people on SNAP probably end up with visitors on occasion.  Hint..hint...could he have a bowl?  Of course, I would never deny him food; I'll add more water to the stew if things get to tough at the end of the 30 days.

The situation did bring up a good point, though--social interaction is pretty much inevitable.  If a family is on SNAP and their child brings someone home with them, doesn't that just make that whole end of the month thing even more difficult?  Is there just more water added to the stew to make it go further?   What do you do when there is nothing left to water down?

No comments:

Post a Comment