Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Field Trip: St Francis Food Pantry

Just a short blog this morning.  I'm working the day shift, so my writing and interviewing schedule is off.  After I got done with work yesterday, I went to the St Francis Food Pantry in Eau Claire to check out how things work. They were kind enough to show me around and answer all of my questions.  I'll write more about the process later.

I also spoke with Pamela from the UW Extension office.  She is a nutritionist that works with people on foodshare to help them budget and plan meals to help them stretch their foodshare allotment.  The nutritionists also teach foodshare recipients how to eat healthy with minimum cost.

They have a community garden where the labor is shared for a share in the produce.  Every Monday-Wednesday morning, they work with the kids in that area to teach them gardening and healthy eating.  I think that is so cool!

I'm hoping to catch a meal at The Community Table tonight.  I should be able to catch serving time after work.  I'm hungry for healthy food and that is a great place to find it.  The thing about this challenge is that it is teaching me how limiting it would be to live on this without places like The Community Table, St Francis Food Pantry, and Feed My People Foodbank.  I have few choices about what to eat because I bought stuff to last a month.

Pork was on sale, so I'm using a lot of that.  Things that can be made with flour, oatmeal and sugar are becoming my regular diet.  I've got 1 1/2 cans of pineapple left and that is what will take me another 18 days.  I'll use the juice in muffins to flavor them and get more vitamins in them.  I still have a can and a half of evaporated milk left.  That will be put to good use.  Everything is rationed.  This is insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment